Weld Engineer (Michigan)
Please apply online at www.gc-employment.com
For further information call Prabhjot Rayat 416-299-0789
Ensure that welding processes meet or exceed customer requirements with respect to safety, quality, flexibility and throughput. Establish process parameters to conform to all requirements. Develop, analyze and implement continuous improvement ideas on current programs as well as support new program development.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- College or University degree in either Weld Technology, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
- Min 5 years hands on experience in related weld applications preferably in automotive
- Able to work, communicate and provide guidance within a team environment
- Experience in developing continuous improvement projects
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
- Must be able to work in a strictly confidential manner.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of welding processes, equipment and robotic applications
- Thorough knowledge and experience of weld quality and weld integrity in MIG, resistance and projection and other forms of fastner welding, preferable in automotive industry.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent knowledge of all areas of manufacturing and processes used.
- Physically capable of performing the essential job duties
- High level knowledge of customer related weld specifications and applications.
- Thorough knowledge of ISO/TS16949
- Excellent knowledge of welding controllers
- Excellent understanding and comprehension of weld schedules and weld parameters
- High level knowledge of welding processes, equipment and robotic applications
- Sound understanding of weld metallurgy
- Familiarity with GMSW manual
- Thorough knowledge of Metrology
- Basic knowledge of GD & T, APQP
- Familiarity with industrial robots (ABB, Fanuc and Motorman)
- Plans work and carries out tasks without detailed instructions
- Makes constructive suggestions
- Prepares for problems or opportunities in advance
- Evaluates new technology as potential solutions to existing problems undertakes additional responsibilities
- Leadership Skills
- Self motivation an direction
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Computer skills (developing graphs, reports)
- Analyzes problems skillfully, uses logic to reach solutions
- Works harmoniously with others to get a job done
- Helps to set a tone of cooperation within the work group and across groups, coordinates own work with others, seeks opinions
- Maintains high standards despite pressing deadlines
- Regularly produces accurate, thorough, professional work
- Completes work in a timely, consistent manner
- Works hours necessary to complete assigned work
- Takes personal responsibility for safety
- Able to determine project urgency in a meaningful and practical way
- States own opinions clearly and concisely
- Asks questions to ensure understanding
- Gathers information before making decisions
- Analyzes current procedures for possible improvements
- Follows detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data
- Remains open-minded and changes opinions on the basis of new information
- Able to determine project urgency in a practical way
- Follows up to evaluate customer satisfaction
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute by developing and promoting continuous improvement relating to welding and machine efficiency and cost reduction activities.
- Provide training to production weld personnel in proper methods
- Perform analysis of customer supplied weld drawings and provide input and direction in the development of welding process to ensure compliance with the related specs and requirements
- Investigation and Support of Customer Concerns.
- Analyze customer product information and specifications, assist in improvements
- Involvement in the weld development of new programs ensuring that equipment complies to company’s Standards
- Approval of weld equipment development and testing processes.
- Coordinate with weld vendors and analyze latest technology availability applicable to improve company’s weld processes, quality and productivity considering ergonomics.
- Create and maintain a system to ensure combined efforts of production and maintenance to ensure higher quality welds in current production
- Provide training to production weld personnel in proper procedures of machine maintenance and parameter adjustments applicable to welding, change-over of weld consumables
- Evaluate and interpret weld destruct data received from Quality Department and make improvement recommendations
- Continually improve weld quality control tip life
- Champion welding process for new programs in conjunction with Engineering Department program teams and ongoing engineering changes, including approval for production (weld validation)
- Maintain safety standards of equipment and work area and perform all duties in a safe manner in accordance with the safety policies of company’s Tool & Die.
- Control offline tip dressing management program
- Update weld matrices and weld related forms
- Establish a system for weld schedule changes
- Determine Root Cause Analysis of weld failures and present plan to control
- Work safely and follow all safety rules at all times.
- Report any unsafe or unhealthy conditions immediately.
- Know and understand all Company’s Federal, State and Local legislated duties.
- Play an active role in maintaining housekeeping in the area and ensure that area of responsibility is clean, tidy and organized at all times.
- Attend training as required or as assigned.
- Perform other duties as required from time to time.
- Know what to do in an emergency.
- Know the operating instructions for all equipment and processes where you are assigned. Know the pre start-up inspection process, hazards, protective measures, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements, start and stop procedures and equipment limitations.
- Attend all physical examinations and tests including those required for respirator use and hearing protection.
- Be knowledgeable about any chemicals that you work with or that are in your immediate environment.
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects the company’s Expectations, The Big
- Picture, company’s Visions/Values through company’s Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal and company’s rules and regulations.
- Wear required PPE such as safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes, gloves, aprons, respirators and head protection.